Help with mame code

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #1274 by somedude
Replied by somedude on topic Help with mame code
@RustyDawg37
Thanks for the offer, you can find my fork here (based on todays libretro-mame 0.226):
github.com/axbmcuser/mame

Only umk3p is an issue for me:
As mentioned, i remember making the exact same changes for umk3p while mame git was on 0.219 and this older self compiled 0.219 core still works today.

Maybe there is something wrong or i have missed something. :-)

Thanks much

Side note: I'm compiling for win x64
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by somedude.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #1275 by RustyDawg37
Replied by RustyDawg37 on topic Help with mame code
You didnt add the extra sizing to the graphics rom total size. That seems to be the only difference I can find at a quick glance. For reference here is my repository.

github.com/Zoltan45/mame-mkp

the line in question in your repo is line 837 in midwunit.cpp driver

ROM_REGION( 0x2000000, "gfxrom", 0 )

is how big the graphics rom region is.

you forgot to tell it that the size is now 0x2400000

I did not se anything else that would make it not work but if that doesnt do it lmk.

Try discord as well. there is a mame channel and help can be had there, sometimes faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: somedude

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #1276 by somedude
Thanks for the reply and hint.
I already tried compiling with the mentioned "0x2400000" as i saw it in other repos before - it lead to same result: cmos boot loop
(Side note: My old .219 compile also worked with the "wrong" value of "0x2000000" but of course it made sense to also try the seemingly correct value "0x2400000")

I saw your fork is about as old as my working old fork (yours is .218 and my working one was about the same with version .219)

Therefore i suspect that there may have been some changes to the later mame core versions which now cause this problem with umk3p(?) Hmmm...

I don't have a discord acc yet - but may have a look if i get desperate enough. :D

Let me know if you plan to update your own fork some day and how that worked out for you.
At the end of the day it makes not much of difference to me to stay on the old core version - but i thought i'd be nice to be up to date.

Thanks again! :)

More
5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #1277 by RustyDawg37
have you verified umk3 works on libretro mame version you are trying to change? There is always possibility of a libretro problem in their port.

Also I would recommend not changing the graphics size from 0x2400000, i got that from hbmame, which is put out by a mame developer, who probably knows more than both of us about why it is that size. my guess is if you use 0x200000 all the graphics wont be available.

Also mame is one of those things, if its working for you, leave it alone. lol
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by RustyDawg37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: somedude

More
5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #1278 by somedude
Yeah, umk3 works well with the 0.226 compiled core.

Of course i'm only using "0x2400000" for all edits now. I just wanted to point out that version 0.219 works with umk3p even with "0x2000000" so this could not be the issue regarding the boot loop.

I tried hbmame core 0.226 which works great with naming the rom "umk3plus20190921".
I pasted the changes from hbmame exactly to a fresh regular mame 0.226 core and made another clean build. Same result: cmos boot loop

I'd bet my money on an issue with regular libretro-mame core and umk3p stuff on later versions and will just stick to latest 0.226 hbmame for now. ^^
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by somedude.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #1279 by RustyDawg37
it will still work, I think what will happen is eventually it wont load new graphics after you have played for so long.

I think you are right. Sounds like something funky in libretro. They do a lot of stuff on their own besides what they merge, and there are plenty of times when the core stops working as a result, and must be repaired. I honestly don't know when I may have time to get into this to possibly test out a couple other tricks. There are multiple ways to compile the libretro cores and different OS's to compile on. Believe it or not this can change results as well. If you feel your Plus additions are solid, you can certainly take a whack at it.

Moderators: Tehdrewsus

Created by ZPaul2Fresh8

Go to top