Question about Mame 64+

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #1230 by VulgarisMagistralis
So I made a post earlier about my attempt to run MK2+ on a macintosh and I'm glad to report it works just fine. So I've decided to attempt UMK3+, but I found it to be rather different.

After patching carefully a rev 1.2 rom for Mame 0.216, I tried running on my system. When I run Mame 64 (v.0.224) I get a "CMOS OK" message, and I can never get past it. It keeps blinking, as if restarting it.

Now, I noticed that the steps for Windows include downloading a bespoke edition of Mame. I have 3 questions:

1. [Mame] being an open-source project, is it possible to take a look at the fork with the modifications for UMK3+? Is the code available anywhere? (Github, BitBucket, etc)

2. Is it possible, at all, to run MK3+ on Windows in a regular build of Mame? Which build is it?

3. If we do need a bespoke Mame, is there a plan or intention on modifying the patch in such a way that regular Mame can handle it in the future?

Thanks for your help!
Last edit: 1 month 3 days ago by VulgarisMagistralis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 3 days ago #1231 by Tehdrewsus
Replied by Tehdrewsus on topic Question about Mame 64+

VulgarisMagistralis wrote: So I made a post earlier about my attempt to run MK2+ on a macintosh and I'm glad to report it works just fine. So I've decided to attempt UMK3+, but I found it to be rather different.

After patching carefully a rev 1.2 rom for Mame 0.216, I tried running on my system. When I run Mame 64 (v.0.224) I get a "CMOS OK" message, and I can never get past it. It keeps blinking, as if restarting it.

Now, I noticed that the steps for Windows include downloading a bespoke edition of Mame. I have 3 questions:

1. [Mame] being an open-source project, is it possible to take a look at the fork with the modifications for UMK3+? Is the code available anywhere? (Github, BitBucket, etc)
I don't think there are any forks out there for this, specifically. Paul compiled mame64, I compiled an older version, .119, for 32 bit users.

2. Is it possible, at all, to run MK3+ on Windows in a regular build of Mame? Which build is it?
The ones at mortalkombatplus.com in the downloads section will run it

3. If we do need a bespoke Mame, is there a plan or intention on modifying the patch in such a way that regular Mame can handle it in the future?
Regular mame doesn't know to look for the additional bank of graphics chips, which is why we had to compile a custom version. We added graphics banks because there wasn't enough room on the existing chips.

Thanks for your help!

UMK3+ Co-Creator

More
1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 2 days ago #1232 by RustyDawg37
Replied by RustyDawg37 on topic Question about Mame 64+
Just to addon to what drew is saying,

1. If you want to see how the game gets implemented it is available in HBMAME, HBMAME libretro core, and mame2003plus libretro core, all of whose source codes are available to browse on github.

2. If you want no muss, no fuss, grab the mame64+ or mame32+ download here on the downloads page.

3. Patching it to work with normal mame would be removing everything, hence making it UMK3 (nonplus)

I Imagine the game may make it to regular mame on its own somewhere far down the line.

Its actually not too hard to add the game to your preferred way to play mame once you start looking around the source code. If you want to discuss this any further, may I suggest joining the discord server. There is a mame related channel on the server.

Edit: just realized the 5 options might not work on mac at all. Oops.
Last edit: 1 month 2 days ago by RustyDawg37.

Moderators: Tehdrewsus

Created by ZPaul2Fresh8

Go to top